Monday, July 14, 2008

Liberty lawn

I made a dress a few weeks ago. The pattern is Simplicity 3831. I used some Liberty lawn that Christina gave me.






The dress is hard to see in this photo (which is what happens when you ask 7-year-olds to take your photo), it looks rather stiff. In reality it has quite a nice drape.



The style features an empire waist, slight under-bust gathers, a shaped skirt, split flutter sleeves, and a back zip. It is self-lined, but I didnt have enough fabric to line the skirt so I sewed the bodice facing down at the waist and left the skirt unlined. I changed the bodice; replacing gathers with darts and added a single pocket in the side seam.


Interestingly I found the pattern extremely confusing. It was written in both Spanish and English and I felt that the quality of the explanation was poor. Each step in the process was also not illustrated, and it took me some time to understand which way to insert the sleeves for example. I think if I had been a beginner dressmaker it would have been a very difficult pattern to follow, which is a pity because the pattern achieves a nice style with little effort or time.

1 comment:

Christina said...

O - it looks lovely! I wanted to make myself a skirt but .... it just hasn't happened yet.