Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The hat: a story

Those of you who are not knitters are probably blissfully unaware of the Ravelry website. Its a huge Web 3.0 application: part database, part project/knitting diary, part facebook-for-knitters. I document most of my knitting projects on the website, with a photo or two, and links to the pattern and yarn used.

A couple of weeks ago I got a message via Ravelry from fellow knitter "Strikkelise" in Bergen in Norway asking whether I had lost a knitted tam with dolls on. My first thought was 'of course not' but then I remembered that my parents were in Norway on holiday and maybe the found hat was the tam I knitted for my mother. I called Gill who confirmed that my parents had stopped in Bergen at the beginning of their vacation - maybe they were there also at the end.

There are 40 projects on Ravelry for the Dollheid pattern, but only one with bright blue dolls. After a few more messages to Norway, and a photo, we confirmed that this was indeed the blue tam I gave to Mammie for Christmas.

Gill and I were not sure whether M&F were still in Bergen, but we obtained the hotel address and the intrepid "Strikkelise" confirmed that they had been staying in the same hotel, but checked out that morning.

She kindly took the hat back to her home in Oslo, and posted it to Mammie where it safely arrived last week. By the time M&F arrived back home the arrangements had already been made for the return of the hat before Mammie had even realized that it was lost. Thank you so much "Strikkelise" for tracking us down and returning the hat. She has documented her side of the story here (in Norwegian and English).

Some might say that this proves that no-matter-what, you can't get rid of an unwanted handknit - so let that be a lesson to all my family members who regularly receive handknit gifts!

7 comments:

Strikkelise said...

You are so very welcome. I got to feel like a detective for five minutes :)

Lori said...

That's wonderful! So glad the hat was found and returned to your mother! There should be a Lost and Found section in the Ravelry newsletter to let everyone read about and enjoy these great stories of finished and unfinished knitted items being reunited with their owners!

alce said...

That's a great story!

skb said...

What a fun story :)

shandy said...

This is such a brilliant story about the community of knitters across the world. If only all lost items could be summoned home in this way.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely story. Knitters are a great community--this has inspired me. BlueFig

Anonymous said...

as a child who would carefully 'lose' things I wasn't that keen on I had to laugh I not saying this is true but makes a very funny story anyway imagine mum's not that keen on hat so carefully leaves it for another to find (it is after all a beautiful hand knit some will love it) sooo far from home there is no danger of it returning and barely she's got home there's the intrepid hat back again I laughed and laughed I would love to animate it. I'm sure mum loves the hat but it's a great take on a lovely story.