Saturday, March 31, 2007

1Q roundup

Its the time for 1Q results - an indication of how one is performing against expectations. Here is my 1Q review of how I did with my New year plans...

1. Knit the felted clogs - if they work well, knit more out of the pile of non-superwash Cascade I bought in a misguided moment. I did knit a pair and although I didnt like knitting the pattern, I did like the result and will probably knit more.

2. Socks - got yarn for socks in my stash that I should start knitting up, mostly its pretty unexciting wool though which is why it's been languishing. I plan to knit some plain socks for Nigel, and he has also asked for cotton socks. I did knit socks for Nigel, but not out of stash yarn, also for my father. I did knit a pair for myself, and am knitting a pair from stash currently...but then again I have also bought more sock yarn.

3. Ive got some Elann Canapone hemp yarn - I bought this to knit a shawl, I am wavering between knitting something like Icarus, or River. I think the Icarus would look nicer, but River might be more useful. The only disadvantage is that the River I already knitted is in the same sort of neutral colour. Maybe my mother would like it? Must remember to ask...and of course, got to knit it first. My mother did like the River, so instead of knitting another I gave her mine. This is still on the 'possibles' list.

4. Ive been sitting on this bag of Como for a year - I think it needs to become a sleeveless jacket. I want a long knitted cardigan/coat, but probably not in bright orange. Looking for a pattern for this. I cast on to knit a coat in this but I really am not keen on the knitted fabric. I put it aside for next winter - but need to find another pattern, maybe one designed for the yarn.

5. I want to knit some Fetching mittens and I have a ball of Cashmerino aran. If the pattern is nice to knit I can see me knitting more than one pair. Well I have knit 5 pairs! 3 were gifts, one for Finlay, and one for myself.

6. Christina and I are planning a knitalong for the IK Swallowtail shawl, and I already have the Misti alpaca that the pattern calls for. No reason not to do this - apart from I'm already overloaded with shawls, however pretty. Maybe this would be a nice thing to knit for Eileen? Still planning to knit this, although now I have the Victorian Lace Today book there are so many more appealing patterns in there, Swallowtail is slipping down the list.

7. I just bought some Elsebeth Lavold silky wool to knit the cabled cardigan in Vogue Knitting this month. Its the only pattern in the entire magazine that I like, but it calls for a 100% cashmere yarn...I like silky wool so I'm hoping it will be a good substitute. Little cardigans are actually knitwear that I will wear a lot. I knitted this into the Bonsai tunic - and am very pleased with the result.

8. Got 800 yards of this linen/cotton mix, probably be a summer top for me. Still in the plan, probably the v-neck sweater out of the Rowan Summer Tweed book.

9. Got to knit something out of the stuff I dyed - maybe mittens - but again, if I dont do it soon will not be needing mittens for a while. Yep, this became 2 of the pairs of fetching mittens.

10. I bought a nice pattern for a lacy scarf - Ive got some nice yarn that would work for it - but cant decide which. Hmm....patterns for lacy scarves seem to have proliferated recently, along with yarn in which to knit them...I forsee a lot of lace this year.

11. Been sitting on this Artyarns Supermerino for a year (was supposed to be my tank top but I did that in Shepherd Sport in the end. Not sure what to knit it into - Ive about 600 yards so not enough for a sweater. Maybe another clapotis? I wear the Noro one enough. I think this might be nice knitted into this: http://www.chicknits.com/catalog/ribbycardi.html

12. Got some Malabrigo to knit into a hat for me, again, if I dont do it soon, wont be worth it until next fall. Its warm already - shelved until next winter.

Immediate next thing on the needles is going to be a camera case for Adam, and that has not even made it onto the list! I did knit the camera case, but Adam dropped the camera, so it has not had much use.

So, what is added to the plan?

A knitted scarf from VLT in Seasilk that I bought at Stitches.
The Estonian Garden shawl, in Claudia's handpaints silk
More socks!

No comments: