Monday, August 03, 2009

Where in the world: Windy City edition

I spent last week on business in Chicago - and actually it was the most fun I've had while working for a long time. I was speaking at a conference, and I enjoyed both the conference and the venue. It was fun to be in a big city for a week.

Here is a photo taken on State Street under the L (elevated railroad), it seemed a quintessentially Chicago view.


Our hotel was on South Michigan Drive which is basically the main drag north/south, near several parks and close to the lake. We were near the Millenium Park and I did go and see some of the sculptures including The Bean, otherwise known as Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate, it was actually pretty great...you can see me in the green shirt taking the photo.


One afternoon I skipped out and did an architecture river tour by the Chicago Institute of Architects as recommended on Ravelry. Chicago certainly seems overloaded with excellent buildings, both public and private. I especially loved the new Public Library. This is a view from the river of the Willis tower (formerly the Sears Tower).

On the last night I went out with my team for Chicago Deep Pan pizza, which I have to say, I was not so keen on...I prefer my pizza crispy I think. However it's the local 'thing' so I had to try it. I had a nice evening and we walked back to the hotel. I stayed at the Chicago Hilton, and had this great view from my window.

I guess a lake view would have been 'nicer' but I never get tired of looking out on the city, especially from a room with excellent soundproofing.

No comments: