Monday, September 03, 2007

Things are not always what you expect

We have had delivery of a load of beetroots in our vegetable box all of which were quickly eaten. Yesterday Finlay and I decided to use some of the reserved beetroot juice to see how it would dye wool.

We did some research on the internet and used a vinegar mordant. This was the colour of the wool in the beetroot juice:

We had read that beetroot actually resulted in a muted colour, and this was our final result:

Its a rather nice pale pinkish fawn colour. However, since the boys wanted me to knit socks from this wool, I think we will overdye it with something else. It was fun to try a natural dye like this and a good experiment for Finlay and I.

No comments: